Ways to Submit a SORN Declaration to the DVLA


The purpose of a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) is to notify the DVLA that a vehicle that you own is not road worthy and is not currently being driven. There are other acceptable reasons for making a SORN, such as you keep the vehicle exclusively in a garage (and not on the road), or it is only driven on a private road or private land. If you do not submit this declaration, it will be assumed that you drive the vehicle on public roads and you will be taxed. DVLA contact is recommended if you are unclear on the taxation laws.

Most find that the easiest way to make a Statutory Off Road Notification is online. The DVLA website now contains a service for submission. The service is still in BETA at this time, but that will of course change in the future. There are two things that you will need in order to make an application online. The first is the 16 digit reference number on your vehicle tax renewal letter (V11). The second is the 11 digit reference number on your log book (V5C). Consider gathering these two pieces of information before starting the online submission process.

The second option is to call the DVLA contact number and complete the process over the phone. Once again, you will need to provide certain information about yourself and the vehicle that you need to make a SORN for, so consider having this information near you before making the call. An automated system is provided, but if you need assistance, a live agent will be available if you contact DVLA during business hours. If you suspect that you may need help or have questions, wait until business hours to call the DVLA phone number for SORN purposes.

The third option is regular post. When choosing this option, you will need to send a completed form V890 to the DVLA. This form can be downloaded online or mailed to you (call DVLA to make a request). If you plan on traveling out of the country and leaving your vehicle behind, you can complete the process up to two months before your departure. The mailing address for the application is: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR. The cost of sending the application via post must be covered by you.

In some cases, post is the only acceptable method for making a SORN. You will need to use the post method if you recently registered as the keeper of the vehicle and have received the V5C registration certificate in the same month. Post should also be used if you are not yet registered as the keeper of the vehicle.  If the vehicle is not currently registered in your name, complete the appropriate section of the V5C and return it with the V890 form. If you do not have a V5C, complete form V62 and return it with your SORN application. Call the DVLA number if you have any question about these forms and applications.