Tips for Using the HMRC Tax Credits Calculator


If you would like to know what benefits you may be entitled to in the coming tax year, the HMRC tax credit calculator can help. In the United Kingdom, the tax year runs from April 6th to April 5th of the following year. When using the calculator, the result is an estimate of credits that you would receive every four weeks. The calculator is available on, with additional information being available from HM Revenue or by calling the National Insurance number.

The HM Revenue and Customs provides the calculator online and it may not work with all browsers. Fortunately, the system provides an option to check this and update or change your browser if necessary. This is usually quite simple to do, but if you need help. HMRC contact is recommended. Speaking of, it is possible to request an estimate on the phone, bypassing the calculator altogether if you wish. This is a suitable option for those who do not have an internet connection at home.

Consider gathering some information before calling or using the calculator online. To complete the entries, you will need to provide:

  • Information about your income
  • Information about your partner’s income
  • Your total working hours
  • Information regarding benefits you are or were claiming
  • The amount you spend on childcare each week

The calculator will ask for you to enter your total income for the previous tax year. However, you may need to make a modification. If you think that you will be earning £2,500 more or less than you did the previous year, you will need to account for that in order to receive an accurate estimate. You will need to subtract £2,500 if your income is increasing, or add that amount if it is decreasing. Why? Because the Tax Credit Office ignores the first £2,500 of a change in income, but the tax credits calculator does not. This can be a bit confusing, so call the tax office number if you need help.

If you are an immigrant, you may need to call the HMRC phone number. If the following applies, you will need to call the National Insurance number – you are a couple and one or both of you is subject to immigration control and you are not legally responsible for any minor children. If you are not a legal resident of the United Kingdom, it is best to contact HMRC and make sure that you are eligible for tax credits. If you are, an agent can provide you with an estimate of the monthly benefits that you might receive.