Reporting Changes that May Impact HMRC Child Benefit


There are certain life changes that may impact your ability to receive Child Benefit payments from HMRC. These changes may change the amount that you receive, or may stop payments from being received in the future. If you do not report changes in a timely manner, you could receive payments that you are not entitled to, and be asked to pay them back. To avoid this, report any of the following changes and contact HMRC if you have questions about reporting.

Child Benefits automatically stop on 31 August on or after your child’s turns 16 years old. If after that age your child becomes enrolled in approved education or training, call HMRC and let them know. In this case, benefit payments may continue after the age of 16. However, if they leave an approved education or training program, benefits can no longer be received. Contact HMRC support to request a list of what qualifies as an approved education or training program. This list may be updated, so do request a new list even if you have requested on in the past.

There are other situations that need to be reported, such as if your child starts paid work and is working 24 hours a week or more. If the child will live away from you for either a period of 8-weeks consecutively or more than 56 days in a 16-week period, this needs to be reported. Call HMRC if the child will go abroad permanently or for more than 12 weeks, or moves to or from Northern Ireland. Changes such as getting married or changing his or her name also require a report.

Some health and problematic situations need to be reported as well. If the child goes missing or goes to prison for longer than 8 weeks, a report is necessary. If the child dies or will be in hospital or residential care for longer than 12 weeks, this too should be reported. These situations do not automatically disqualify you from receiving payments, so there should be no hesitation in reporting such changes when necessary. Lastly, report the receipt of any new benefits such as:

  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Tax Credits
  • Employment and Support Allowance

Life rarely stays the same and changes are bound to take place. Some changes need to be reported to HMRC if you receive financial benefits. If you need help with reporting, contact HMRC. Agents can explain the process of reporting to you, let you know what does or does not have to be reported, and answer any questions that you might have. Changes could cause you to receive more or less money in payments, but whatever the case may be, should be reported so as to keep your benefit case in good standing.