HMRC: 0870 280 2566

Contact HMRC (HM Revenue and Customs) on 0870 280 2566 for help with your income tax or if you need to update your personal details with HMRC. The HMRC contact number is operational during the hours of 8am – 8pm Monday to Fridays and also open on Saturday from 8am to 4pm. The best time to contact HMRC is before 10am Monday to Friday when their phone line is least busy.

HMRC Contact Number
0870 280 2566

Useful HMRC Contact Numbers:

DepartmentContact Number
HMRC General Enquiries0870 280 2566
Self Assessment0870 280 5645
Tax Credits0870 280 0462
Child Benefit0870 280 5496
Income Tax0870 280 5579
National Insurance0870 280 0486
Tax For Employers0870 280 5717
VAT0870 280 5533
Construction Industry Scheme0870 280 5622
HMRC online services0870 280 5684

HMRC Phone Number Opening Times:

Monday to Friday8:30am-8:30pm

Contact HMRC By Post:

Income Tax General Enquiries:
Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom
National Insurance:
National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom
Employers General Enquiries:
National Insurance Contributions and Employers Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom
VAT General Enquiries:
HM Revenue and Customs – VAT Written Enquiries Team
Alexander House
21 Victoria Avenue
SS99 1BD
United Kingdom

HMRC is a non-ministerial department of the UK Government that is mainly responsible for collecting direct taxes including income tax and corporation tax. HMRC are also responsible for Self Assessments, PAYE for employees, Tax Credits, National Insurance, VAT, Child Benefits and more.

There are many reasons why you may want to use the HMRC phone number. Most people will phone the tax office number if they need help with their tax returns or if they think that they have paid too much tax. You may also need to call HM Revenue & Customs if you need to find out what your tax code is. Whatever your enquiry is, HMRC are on hand to help you when you phone the HMRC helpline on 0870 280 2566.

Contact HMRC if you need help with any of the following tax related matters…

  • Person picking up a telephoneTax Calculations
  • First-time Residency
  • Tax Credits
  • Taxes on Inheritance
  • Business Taxes
  • Setting Up Shop
  • VAT
  • Personal & Business Accounting
  • Tax Fraud
  • Charity Tax Status

How To Contact HMRC

HMRC offers a range of different ways for you to get in touch with them however reports from users suggest that some methods are more effective than others. The fastest way to get in touch with HMRC is by calling the HM Revenue contact number on 0870 280 2566. The HMRC phone lines are at their busiest after 10am so if you don’t want to sit on hold for very long then we suggest you call HMRC before 10am.

If you need to let HMRC know that you have changed your name or your address, or that you think your 2016-2017 tax code is wrong them they do have some helpful online forms that can be used which is by far the quickest way to contact them.

Name or Address Change Form:

Correct Your 2016-2017 Tax Code:

You can also contact HMRC by post for all tax queries by sending your letter to the following address:

Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

Note that you do not need to include a street name, city or PO BOX when writing to HMRC however if you are using a courier then they suggest that you use the following address:

HM Revenue and Customs
Benton Park View
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ
United Kingdom

HMRC Contact Numbers

When you are searching for the right Inland Revenue contact number you will want to make sure that you get in contact with the right department to save time. Below is a list of popular HM Revenue and Customs tax office numbers for a variety of useful departments. Each number will get you directly through the right department. Remember to try and phone before 10am when the lines are less busy.

Main HMRC Contact Number: 0300 200 3300

Self Assessment Contact Number: 0300 200 3310

Tax Credits Helpline: 0345 300 3900Lightbulbs hanging from strings

Child Benefits Contact Number: 0300 200 3100

National Insurance Helpline: 0300 200 3500

Employers Helpline: 0300 200 3200

VAT General Enquiries: 0300 200 3700

HMRC Helpdesk: 0300 200 3600

HMRC Self Assessment

Self Assessment is a system that the HMRC uses to collect taxes from people or business that need to report their income. For the majority of people, tax is automatically deducted from their wages, pensions and savings so they do not need to worry about filing a self assessment. If you are unsure if you need to file a self assessment then the best thing to do is to give the HMRC helpline a quick call on 0870 280 2566 as it is better to be safe than sorry.

The deadline for submitting a self assessment tax return is on the 31st of January if you file it online however if you haven’t submitted a tax return the year before then they do allow you some extra time (typically up to 20 working days).

It is very important to submit your self assessment tax return on time as there are late penalty charges which will automatically come into account. You will get a £100 penalty if your tax return if up to 3 months late and if you go over this then the fine quickly increases. If you have difficulty submitting your tax return or you think you will be late filing then it would be advised to use the HMRC Self Assessment contact number to let them know.

PAYE and Payroll

PAYE is HMRC’s system to collect income tax and national insurance payments from employment. If you are an employer of staff then you would normally have to incorporate a PAYE system into your payroll. There are cases where the employer does not need to incorporate a PAYE system which include but are not limited to if your employees earn less than £112 per week, receive benefits and expenses or have another job.

When you pay your employees it is important to make sure that you deduct tax and National Insurance before paying them. Your payroll software will automatically work out how much to deduct from them if they earn over £155 per week.

If you decide to hire staff then it is important that you register as an employer with HMRC which you can do online. HMRC state that you must register yourself before your new staffs first payday but please note that it can take a few weeks to register so make sure you leave enough time.

If you need to discuss becoming an employer or if you have any questions then the best thing to do is to pick up the phone and call the Inland Revenue contact number so they can advise you on the best course of action.

Tax Credits

Tax credits are designed to redistribute income to people that are on lower wages. There are two different forms of tax credits that can be claimed which Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits

Child Tax Credits are paid to families with children and you could claim Child Tax Credit if you are responsible for a child or children that are under 16 years of age or if they are under 20 as long as they are in approved education or training.

Working Tax Credits are paid to people that are in work but are on low incomes. You may be able to claim working tax credit if you are aged between 16 and 24 years old and have a child or a disability or if you are over 25 years old. Apart from the criteria above you will have to work a certain number of hours a week, get paid for the work you carry out and have an income below a certain level.

There are 2 ways in which you can apply for tax credits. You can either use the HMRC online tool which will guide you through the process or you can simply call the tax credits phone number on 0870 280 2566. When you call the Inland Revenue contact number make sure you have all your information on hand such as your National Insurance number, details about your employment and information about the income you receive.

National Insurance

National Insurance is the contributions paid by employers and employees of companies which goes towards the cost of state benefits. National Insurance was initially setup as an insurance system that helps protect people against illness and unemployment however it now provides retirement pensions and other state benefits. You will have to pay National Insurance if you are 16 or over, you are earn over £155 a week or you are self-employed profiting more than £5,965 a year.

You will be required to obtain a National Insurance Number before you will be able to pay National Insurance contributions. You can obtain a National Insurance number by calling the National Insurance contact number on 0345 600 0643. If you think you already have a National Insurance number and you have lost it then you will have to fill in form CA5403 or call the National Insurance helpline on 0300 200 3502.

You are able to start your employment if you do not have a National Insurance number as long as you can prove that you can work in the UK. If this is the case then you should advise your employer that you have applied for one and give it to them as soon as one is issues.

When you turn 16 years of age then you will automatically receive a National Insurance number however if you do not receive one then call the National Insurance helpline on 0300 200 3502.

VAT (Value Added Tax)

VAT or Value Added Tax is imposed on the sale of goods and services by businesses which are collected by HM Revenue & Customs. VAT is charged at different levels depending on the product that is sold however the standard VAT rate on most products and services is currently 20%. If you are unsure as to the VAT rate that you should charge then call the HMRC VAT helpline and they will be more than happy to advise.

If you are a business owner and you have a gross turnover of more than £82,000 per year then you are required to register for VAT. Registering for VAT is relatively simple and can be achieved by registering online through the HMRC portal or you can call the HMRC VAT helpline. You also have the option to appoint an accountant or an agent to submit and manage your VAT returns for you and contact HM Revenue and Customs on your behalf. Once registered you will receive a VAT registration certificate within 2 weeks however it can take a bit longer.

When you become VAT registered you will have certain responsibilities that you need to fulfil. These include but are not limited to:

  • Charging the right VAT amount
  • Paying any VAT that is due to HMRC
  • Submitting VAT returns
  • Keep details VAT records and a VAT account

If you have any questions about VAT then the first port of call would be the HMRC website where you will find an array of helpful information. If you cannot find the answer to the question you are looking for then it is advised to call the HMRC number to ask them directly.

Child Benefits

Child benefits are money paid by HMRC to parents or people that are responsible for the upbringing of children. You can claim for each child that you are responsible for under the age of 16 however please be aware that only 1 person is allowed to claim child benefits (not both parents for example). You can also claim for a Guardians Allowance if responsible for the upbringing of someone else’s child because their parents have passed away which is paid in addition to Child Benefits. You may want to give the HMRC telephone number a call to find out exactly what you are entitled to claim.

There are currently two child benefit rates:

  • £20.70 per week for the eldest or only child
  • £13.70 per child for additional children

Child benefits are typically paid straight into your bank account every 4 weeks either on a Monday or a Tuesday however there are certain conditions where it is paid on a weekly basis, to find out if you qualify for weekly payments it is advised to give the Child Benefit number a call to find out. If you require any help or assistance with claiming child benefits then you can call the Child Benefit contact number on 0870 280 2566. HMRC will be more than happy to answer any questions or concerns that you may have.

Contact HMRC on Social Media

Social media is becoming an important tool for business and HMRC have decided to follow the trend. HMRC now have a variety of social media accounts where you can interact with them directly. Here are some of the popular HMRC social media accounts that you may find handy whilst you are trying to contact HMRC. If you decide to contact HMRC on social media then remember that whatever you post to them will be publically shown so refrain from posting sensitive information.

HMRC Customer Support on Twitter:

Social media icons in circlesHMRC Business Support on Twitter:

HMRC Official Facebook Page:

HMRC on LinkedIn:

HMRC on YouTube:

Contact HMRC Before It’s Too Late

Many people are reluctant to call the HM Revenue number when they face problems or have unanswered questions. It is important to note that HMRC are friendly and will do everything they can to give you the answers you need or to at least point you in the right direction. If you have any questions at all and you would like to speak to HMRC then just give the tax office phone number a ring on 0870 280 2566 or get in touch with them through other means. You can find more information about HMRC on their main website at