HMRC Child Benefit for New UK Residents


It’s the right of every new resident to receive child benefits provided they move to the UK and meet certain requirements. This applies to people who move to England, Wales, Scotland and even Northern Ireland. However, since every situation is different, it’s always good to be aware of the basic requirements needed to receive these benefits. HM Revenue oversees this benefit and information can be gathered by calling the Child Benefit number.

Parents who have children under the age of 16 years may qualify to receive benefit payments. Also, new residents with children between the ages of 16-17 who have enrolled in formal education/training and have met child benefit extension rules as laid out by HMRC can qualify as well. You can apply for these benefits if you have a child who is age 16-20, if the child is enrolled in a HMRC-approved course. More than one child may qualify.

The rules get a tad complicated for children who are 19 years of age. For this reason, you should seek advice from HM Revenue and Customs concerning your child’s entitlement to these benefits. If you live together in the same home, the benefits will go to the child’s parent or legal guardian. But if you live separately, it will be paid to the person who is living with and caring for the child in question.

Other Conditions

Residents who migrated to the United Kingdom on or after 1 July 2014 can apply for Child Benefit provided they meet a set of other stringent conditions. The HMRC will consider whether or not you are a job seeker. They will also review your health status, work records (if you ever worked in the UK), your Class 1 and 2 National Insurance contributions, your citizenship status, and many other things. HMRC contact is highly recommended for immigrants who have recently relocated to the country.

Application Exceptions

If you are subject to immigration control, then it means you will not have an opportunity to successfully apply for these benefits. However, there are certain exceptions that might apply to your case. For instance, if you come from countries that have special agreement with UK (concerning Child Benefit), or are a sponsored immigrant. Call the National Insurance number if you have questions about your status and whether or not you should apply for benefits.

Child Benefit Payments

The amount you will receive will vary depending on the age of the child. The oldest child will receive weekly benefits of £20.70. In the case of multiple children, a sum of £13.70 will be paid per head on a weekly basis.  Applicants can call the HMRC helpline if they want to receive a payment estimate. The amount can be paid every 30-days or on a weekly basis (for those who receive Jobseeker’s Allowance or Income Support.

If either you or your spouse has a minimum income of £50,000, a special income tax will be applied to determine how much you receive in child benefit. This will automatically reduce the amount you receive.  Also, the amount of child benefit you receive will be affected by the benefit cap which seeks to regulate what people in their working age are entitled to.

Countries with Special Agreements

Dozens of participating countries have a special agreement with the UK. These include Canada, Kosovo, Barbados, Macedonia, New Zealand, Serbia, Israel, Montenegro, Mauritius, the Channel Islands, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Therefore, if you are a new resident who just moved to the UK and are interested in getting Child Benefit, special rules will apply. It’s your responsibility to see that you’ve met the minimum requirements, and should contact HMRC if you have any questions.