DVLA Contact Number: 0870 280 2395

Call the DVLA contact number to speak to the DVLA about your vehicle tax, changing the address on your driving licence, ordering a new V5 and much more. The DVLA phone number is available between the hours of 8am to 7pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturdays. DVLA customer service is closed on Sundays.

DVLA Contact Number
0870 280 2395

DVLA: 0300 790 6802

HelplineContact Number
Vehicle Registration0300 790 6802
Customer Service0870 280 2395
V5C Certificates0300 790 6802
Vehicle Tax & SORN0300 790 6802
Driving Licences0300 790 6801
Driving & Medical Issues0300 790 6806
Driver Check Service0870 280 6342
Welsh Language Enquiries0300 790 6819
Driving Tests0300 200 1188
MOT’s0300 123 9000

How to contact DVLA?

When it comes to contacting the DVLA, 0870 280 2395 or freephone 0300 790 6801 is the helpline number that you need to call. Calling this phone number is the fastest way to get in touch with DVLA. The best time to phone the DVLA is between 8:00am and 11:30am however DVLA are open between 8:00am and 7:00pm Monday to Friday.

DVLA Phone Number Opening Times:

Monday to Friday8:00am-7:00pm

Contact DVLA By Post:

DVLA Complaints Address:
Complaints Team
Oliver Morley – Chief Executive:
Chief Executive’s Office
DVLA vehicle registration enquiries:
Vehicle Customer Services
SA99 1AR
DVLA driver licensing enquiries:
Drivers Customer Services
Correspondence Team
DVLA drivers’ medical enquiries:
Drivers’ Medical Enquiries
SA99 1TU
DVLA driving License Check:
Driver Licence Validation Service
SA99 1AJ

The DVLA is a UK organisation that is completely run by the government. It is their job to make sure that the drivers in Britain have their vehicles monitored. When you use the DVLA contact number in Ireland then you will need to call the DVA, the counterpart agency for drivers in Ireland. The DVLA is responsible for issuing licenses, personal registrations and so much more and they are an executive agency of the DFT as well. The DVLA is based in Swansea and they have a 16 storey building that is located in Clase. The DVLA was previously known as the DVLC but these offices were closed in 2013. The agency now does all of their work online but it is possible to send them a letter or ring them yourself using the DVLA contact number above.

Why Would You Call the DVLA Phone Number?

The main DVLA contact number is 0300 123 4321 and when you call this number you will find that they can help you with anything from taxing your car to requesting new documentation. The DVLA can also help you if you have a personalised registration plate as well. If you need other services then they can help you with your blue badge, booking a driving test, driving with a disability, car registration, logbooks, photographs and so much more. The phone number for the DVLA can also help you if you have any questions about a certain issue, but for a special requirement then you will need to give them a call. This is especially the case if you need a form in Braille or larger print. It is also possible for them to print forms out for you in another language so this is a great way to get what you want. If you do not own a vehicle at the moment then you can still use the DVLA phone number to ask them about what they can do for you.

When you call DVLA, help is available for a broad range of topics, including:

  • Getting a License
  • Renewing a License
  • Reporting a Lost License
  • Updating Records
  • Purchasing Plates
  • Ordering Private Plates
  • Reporting Infractions
  • Bereavements
  • License Testing
  • And More

Contact The DVLA By post

To apply by post then you will need to get a V62 and you will need to send this to the DVLA however you will incur a £25 fee. It is possible for you to pay by cheque as well if this is something that you would like to try. If you have never had a V5C certificate then you won’t experience any fee at all and this is especially the case if you have the green part of your V5C/2. You will need to pair this with your V62 before you send it off. The address for this can be found below:

SA99 1DD 

If you apply by post then it can take over 6 weeks for it to be processed.

DVLA Vehicle Registration

Vehicles must be registered by way of contacting the DVLA when you purchase them. Therefore, the responsibility to register the vehicle might fall on the dealer if the vehicle you purchase is brand new or it might fall on both you and the seller to ensure that all the paperwork is filled in properly and sent to the right location. There are several things that you must remember regarding registering a new vehicle. In addition, registration for new vehicles and used vehicles is different. There are even some special circumstances where an automobile might not have been registered in the past.

Registration Basics

Cars must be registered as soon as you purchase them. It is not acceptable to drive a car for a period of several days or weeks without first registering the automobile. Therefore, this is something that should be done immediately upon deciding to purchase the vehicle. This includes automobiles that are imported. You also have to register a vehicle when you build it or rebuild it. Furthermore, it may be necessary to have the automobile inspected before it can be officially registered. Call the DVLA contact number to learn more about the registration and inspection process.

The DVLA contact number is especially helpful if there are extenuating circumstances where there are some questions surrounding the ownership of the vehicle in question. An inspection can help you know exactly which forms you need to fill out so that there are no unpleasant surprises later on. If you do fill out the wrong form, there is a good chance that your vehicle will not receive the registration that it needs until the mistake has been corrected and the proper amount of processing time has been allotted. This could effectively delay your receiving registration for the vehicle by 4 to 8 weeks. It could also mean that you incur additional fees that you would not otherwise be required to pay. Call DVLA if you need help with filling out the proper forms.

New Vehicles

Typically, the dealer will register the vehicle on your behalf. However, this is not always the case. As a result, it is vitally important that you ask the dealer directly whether or not they handle the registration process or if you are expected to do it yourself. While most dealers will gladly do it for you, there are some dealers that will refuse. If they do, you can register the vehicle on your own, either by calling the contact number for DVLA or through the mail. You can obtain the form that you need online by downloading it or you can request form V62 at any post office.

Used Vehicles

Registering a used vehicle can sometimes bring with it some unexpected hurdles that you have to overcome. If a V5C certificate exists, it is imperative that you transfer that certificate from one owner to the next. In this case, the seller has to complete part 6 of the form while you are required to complete section 10. Both of you must sign the form in the appropriate location. You then have to send the form to the DVLA and await your new documentation that has your updated information included on it. This should be available after approximately four weeks.

If it is not in your possession at the end of the four weeks, either download a Form V62 or request one from the nearest post office and mail that form in with any and all appropriate fees. If you still haven’t heard anything about the registration for your vehicle after an additional six weeks, contact the DVLA phone directly in order to discover what the problem is and work with officials on the best way to correct the situation before moving forward.

Special Considerations

Unfortunately, there will be times when there are extenuating circumstances with regard to vehicle registration. Generally speaking, the DVLA customer services recommend that you never purchase a vehicle that has not previously been registered. There could be serious concerns about the quality of the vehicle or of the ownership of it. However, you will sometimes run into circumstances where a vehicle has not been previously registered. Typically, this happens with vehicles that have been built from a kit or for classic automobiles that have been restored to their original condition. In these cases, you would be doing yourself a favor to phone DVLA and inquire about any special steps that need to be taken before you actually purchase the vehicle.

It might be necessary to set up a vehicle inspection before any money changes hands to ensure that everything is in order. If you fail to do this, you are running the risk that you might be putting yourself in financial jeopardy by paying for something that either is not legal or has not been legally transferred to your ownership. Ring the DVLA contact phone number if you have any questions or doubt about a vehicle purchase or transfer.

Registering a vehicle might seem like a lot of work and at times, it can be exactly that. However, it usually involves a process that goes fairly smoothly and in most cases, it is even rather straightforward in its process. Of course, the process of registering a vehicle is much more direct if you are registering one that is brand new. It involves a little more effort if you decide to register a used vehicle but you really don’t typically run into any problems that can lengthen the process unless you are purchasing a vehicle that has never had a certificate to begin with.

In most cases, DVLA contact can clear up any confusion that might exist and help you understand how best to proceed forward with purchasing the vehicle that you have decided on for yourself. If you do have any questions, you should certainly not hesitate to find concrete answers to those questions before you continue with your desire to purchase it. This can save you a lot of time, trouble, and expense in the end.

DVLA V5C Certificates

When it comes to properly understanding DVLA V5C certificates and logbooks, there are certain things that UK drivers should know. Otherwise, you could find yourself spending a great deal of money as you try to correct problems and mistakes that you might not even realize that you have made concerning your vehicle’s registration. Many people have the misconception that they simply need to wait for this information to come to them automatically. That is not always the case.

It is your responsibility to keep officials apprised of changes in your personal information, as well as changes to the vehicle in question. That is why you must contact DVLA to apply for a certificate or a logbook for your vehicle. Fortunately, there are a couple of different ways that you can do this, including calling the DVLA contact number as shown here.

Applying By Calling the DVLA Phone Number

You are eligible to apply by calling the phone number for DVLA if you are already shown as the owner of the vehicle in question. Remember that you can choose to apply either by phone or by sending a form V62 through the mail to get a replacement certificate. It is equally important that you remember that you may not be able to drive that vehicle until you get a V5C certificate.

If you are applying by phone, you must be able to pay the fee, 25 pounds, at the time that you apply. This will be taken via a debit or credit card over the phone. While you are effectively applying for the certificate over the phone, you need to have a paper certificate on hand while you are driving. This might take as long as five days for a new certificate to arrive even when you pay over the phone. Therefore, it is imperative that you plan accordingly.

Applying With Form V62

If you choose to use this method, complete the form and send it with the 25 pounds for the fee. It is important to realize that no fee is required if you already have a copy of your existing V5C/2 documentation. However, you will need to send a copy of that document along with the form V62 if this is the route you choose to use. You must realize that this process can take up to six weeks, so if you need to have a certificate available so you can drive right away, you might want to consider renewing by phone instead. Should you have any questions, DVLA contact is recommended.

When Are Changes Necessary?

Essentially, you have to make changes to the certificate any time that any of your personal information or information about the vehicle in question changes. This includes changing your address or your name but it also includes changes to the vehicle such as changing its weight class or its seating capacity. The same is true if you make modifications to either the chassis or the body, no matter how small and insignificant they might seem at the time. If you do anything with the engine or you change the cylinder capacity or fuel type of the automobile in question, you must contact DVLA to make changes to the certificate.

You are even required to make these formal changes if you simply paint the vehicle a different color. By the same token, there are sometimes other issues that require that changes to the certificate be made. If you have a motorbike, this might include changes to the frame number or changes to the chassis number on an automobile. If the vehicle identification number, or VIN, changes, you must change that on the certificate as well. You also have to note changes including the body type or wheel plan. If you have any questions, it is important that you contact officials and allow them to make a decision about whether or not you should go ahead and fill out a form or make changes over the phone.

In some cases, an inspection to the vehicle must be completed first. It is also important that you check your existing certificate for mistakes, as any mistakes that do exist must be officially changed to represent the correct information. Call the DVLA telephone number to locate an inspection location and to learn more about what an inspection entails.

Possible Fines

If you forget to renew your certificate or accurately report any and all changes as soon as they occur, you may be facing a fine of 1,000 pounds for failing to register the new information. In addition, it is important to remember that your vehicle must be taxed separately. The certificate in and of itself does not represent the tax that you must pay on the vehicle. It simply allows you to drive it legally. Taxes are paid later, usually about four weeks after the certificate has been applied for.

The reason for the delay is because the certificate must be approved and in your possession before you can actually pay for the taxes that are due. Therefore, there is a certain waiting period that is at least in part determined by the amount of time it takes for you to get the certificate after you have completed the application process. DVLA customer service can provide assistance if you need any help with this.

While this might seem rather daunting, it is vitally important that you do everything possible to maintain current information regarding your DVLA V5C certificates and logbooks. If you fail to appropriately handle the matter, you could be costing yourself a lot of money. It simply isn’t worth it when you realize that it is actually much easier to stay abreast of any and all changes and contact DVLA customer services as quickly as possible whenever a change does occur. By doing so, you ensure that you can legally operate the vehicle in question and then all of your affairs concerning the vehicle are in order in case any type of problem ever does occur.

The most important thing to remember is that you should always have your documentation on hand and you should always contact the proper individuals as soon as any changes occur, whether those changes are related to you or your vehicle. This helps you remain certain that you are complying with the rules and regulations regarding the operation of your vehicle.

DVLA Vehicle Tax & SORN

If you own one or more vehicles in the UK, you will either need to pay taxes on that vehicle if it is road-worthy, or make a SORN if it is not. This can be done by calling the phone number for DVLA and requesting assistance. The DVLA customer service team can provide instructions and when necessary, the proper forms. Furthermore, the information provided below may help you to make sure that you affairs are in order as a vehicle owner.

You can tax your vehicle without a V11 reminder letter. All you need is your logbook (V5C registration certificate) if you are the current keeper, V62 application for a registration certificate if you are the current keeper, and/or V5C/2 green new keeper supplement if V5C isn’t in your name. If you have any questions about this, dial the DVLA customer services number as shown here and speak with an agent before attempting to tax your vehicle.

Advance Tax Payment

In some cases, you may be able to contact DVLA and pay your taxes in advance. If you think you will be unavailable to tax your vehicle before it expires, you can phone DVLA to apply for vehicle tax in advance. What you will need is a letter explaining why you need to apply early, your log book, completed application for vehicle tax (V10) or a heavy good vehicle (V85), a MOT or goods vehicle testing (GVT) certificate, and a cheque, postal order, or bank draft payable to ‘DVLA Swansea’. This information should be forwarded to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DZ.

If you do not want to make any advance payments, you can opt to pay for your vehicle tax using online services at the time it becomes due. To do this, all you will need is your log book and your vehicle’s registration number. This process can be conducted from the 5th of every month in the month when the tax is due. Should have questions about setting up an online account or making a payment online, call the contact number for DVLA.

DVLA Contact Number

Taxing a HGV

If you wish to apply to tax a HGV, you are requested to fill in form V85 and apply in person at a post office location that deals with vehicle tax (you can log on to DVLA’s website or call the DVLA helpline to find a post office near you with such services).You will need to carry your log book with you. Taxes paid for a HGV depend on your vehicle’s tax band, whether its suspensions are road-friendly, and whether you have a Reduced Pollution Certificate.

Vehicle Tax Rates

If you are unsure about the tax rate for your vehicle type, you can call DVLA or visit their website and calculate your vehicle tax. However, it is good to note that car tax rates are based on either engine size or fuel type, and CO2 emissions – depending on whether your car vehicle is registered. Vehicle rate for Cars registered before 1st March 2001 depends on engine size. The rate for cars registered on or after 1st March 2001 depends on CO2 emission and fuel type.

Not all vehicles have to pay this tax. Some vehicles that do not have to pay this tax include vehicles used by a disabled person, vehicles used by organizations to provide transport for disabled people (this does not include ambulances), mobility scooters, powered wheel chairs, and invalid carriages, any vehicle manufactured before 1st January 1976, electric vehicles, mowing machines, any steam-powered vehicle, and any vehicle used for agriculture, forestry, and horticulture purposes such as tractors.

Cancelling or Changing your Vehicle Tax

If your car is no longer on the road, written off, stolen, scrapped, exported, or if you sold it off, you can cancel your tax by ringing the phone number DVLA to inform them. You shall then get a refund for any full months of remaining tax. If you have made any of these changes to your vehicle, then you may need to change your tax class. Changes to the engine size, fuel type, car’s weight (applicable for goods vehicles only), number of seats (applicable for buses only), or car’s use may need to be reported.

To learn more about a change in vehicle tax class, do call the DVLA customer service number. You can also check if your vehicle has up-to-date tax or if it has been declared SORN (off the road) online. Your car will be automatically impounded if your taxes are not paid, which means that it is important to stay on top of registration and tax matters.

Make a SORN

If you do not use or keep your vehicle on public roads, you can make a SORN as opposed to taxing it. However, you must pay vehicle tax if you use your vehicle on public roads. Your vehicle is considered to be “off public property” if you store it in a garage, on a driveway, on private property, etc. You may be able to make a SORN if your vehicle isn’t taxed, if it isn’t insured, if you want to break it down for parts before you scrap it, or if you want your brand new car to be kept off the road.

Note: A SORN cannot be transferred from a previous owner. Also, you do not need to make a SORN if you have been sent a V11 reminder letter. A SORN can be made by post, on phone, or online. DVLA help is available if you need it. Your SORN will commence depending on how you applied for it. For example:

  • It will start immediately if you use your V5C reference to apply via phone or online.
  • It will start first day of the next month if you use your V11 reference when applying via phone or online.
  • It will start on the date indicated on your application form if you apply via post.

After you make a SORN, you will immediately receive your vehicle tax refund for any full remaining months. A SORN will last until you apply for a vehicle tax again, you sell your car, you have it scrapped, or you permanently export it. For your SORN to be valid, your vehicle must stay in the UK. You do not need to do anything if you want to renew or have your SORN removed.

Aside from private roads, you can only drive a vehicle with a SORN on public roads to go to and fro a pre-booked MOT or any other testing appointment. Never risk driving a vehicle with a SORN on public roads because if caught, you will face court prosecutions and will be liable to a fine of up to 2,500 pounds. For any questions regarding the laws, telephone DVLA.

Impounded Vehicle Release

Your vehicle can be instantly impounded or clamped if it’s untaxed. It can also be removed on a public road, even if you have SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) or even when not on a public road but you don’t have SORN. In the events that your vehicle gets clamped, contact the number on the back of the INF32 leaflet left on your windshield. Information on DVLA contacts is readily available as well. If your car had been removed, you need to first find out where it has been taken, pay the required release fee, and show that receipt to get your vehicle back. You can pay over the phone, online, or in person at a car pound.

Importing a Vehicle to the UK

If you wish to have a car imported into the UK, you need to first call the DVLA contact telephone number and also adhere to the following rules:

  • Contact DVLA about the new arrival within 14 days after arrival
  • Pay VAT and duty
  • Get your vehicle approved
  • Register and tax the car with DVLA

Remember that all vehicles driving on UK roads are insured, meaning you need to do the same for your new imported vehicle. If you don’t live in UK or if you plan to bring your vehicle for less than 6 months, you need to follow the Temporary Imports rules. Contact the DVLA enquiries department to request a list of these rules.

DVLA Driving Licences

The DVLA holds over 47 million driver records and over 39 million vehicle records. The agency works with partners to support the transport network that is necessary for UK businesses and gets people and goods travelling around the country. The agency is involved in planning and investing in transport infrastructure to keep the UK on the move, with part of that process involving the provision of driving licences to those who contact DVLA, qualify, and pass the necessary tests.

DVLA Policies

The agency is involved in many important areas of transport, including:

Road Safety: The agency works to prevent deaths and serious injuries. They are concerned with improving driver skills, knowledge and attitudes through campaigns such as Think. Their main goal is to ensure that drivers and vehicles are licensed and safe. They bring in laws to make roads safer for everyone. Call the DVLA contact number to learn more about safety initiatives.

Freight Transport: The agency works to help make sure that goods are moved safely and securely in the UK and abroad. Their main aim is to assist with the transportation of goods at reasonable cost and with minimum impact on the environment and communities.

Transport Emissions: A quarter of the UK greenhouse gas emissions come from the transport sector. DVLA is working to reduce emissions by promoting public transport choices, supporting the market for innovative forms of transport and encouraging a more to cleaner and lower carbon vehicles.

DVLA Licensing Procedures

Call the DVLA phone number shown here to request a change to your driver’s licence information. The agency can change the name or gender on your driving license. You just need to send them your old driving licence along with the proper application form and any supporting documents for the change to be completed. DVLA requires you to send a recent photo if you have a paper driving licence and if you need to update the photo on your photo card driving license.

The driving licence application will need to be completed. You can apply for your first provisional driving licence for a car, moped or motorcycle from DVLA online if you wish. The application is completed using your Government Gateway ID. If you do not have one or need to re-register, you will receive an ID as part of your application. DVLA contact is recommended if you need assistance with this process.

Contact DVLA customer services to request the addition of higher categories to your driving licence. Through the agency, you can request that a higher category be added to your licence, and you are automatically entitled to lower categories if you pass a higher category driving test. This is done if you have the correct entitlement on your license.

Licence Reapplication & Renewals

You can reapply for a driving license following a medical condition. DVLA customer service will send you a letter when your license is taken away or surrendered, or if your application for a driving license is refused. They will tell you if there will be a period of time you will need to wait before getting a new license. The agency requires you check with your doctor to find out whether you meet the medical standards for driving before reapplication. For car and motorcycle license, you fill in a D1 application form and send this with your medical condition form to DVLA.

If you have a valid UK passport, you can renew you driving licence online with DVLA. This application can also be done using your Government Gateway ID. At the time of renewal, you can change the photo on your driver’s licence. To update your photo, you need to renew your full or provisional driving license. You will receive a completely new licence after the process. DVLA enables you to complete and submit your application online if you have a valid UK passport and want to use your passport photo.

Bereavement Procedure

If a driver has died, you can send the individual’s driving licence and registration certificates (V5C) to DVLA. You are required to include a letter with the documents explaining your relationship to the person who has died, the date of the death, and their name, address, and date of birth. Do not send the original death certificate. If you don’t have V5C, send only the letter and pertinent information. Call the DVLA phone number to learn more.

Medical Conditions, Disabilities, and Driving

It is mandatory that you contact DVLA if you have a driving licence and you develop certain medical condition or disability. Drivers will also need to call the DVLA contact number if a condition or disability has got worse since the time that a licence was received. The agency describes noteworthy conditions as anything that could affect your ability to drive safely, but feel free to contact DVLA customer services to request a specific list of conditions.

DVLA on Equality and Diversity

The agency is committed to implementing the government’s policies on diversity and equality. The promotion of equality and diversity principles are incorporated into delivering inclusive services accessible for staff, customers, and the general public. DVLA’s main aim is to help customers comply with road safety regulations. They ensure that their services and information are as accessible as possible, with flexibility to provide the ongoing improved customer service as a digital service provider. Some of the accreditations and engagement that have been held for some time helps to demonstrate the commitment to equality and diversity.

DVLA Energy Use

DVLA works to monitor and reduce energy consumption, costs, and carbon emissions. It has over 40 sites which use around 28.3-gigawatt hours each day. Most of their consumption comes from their main site in Swansea, where around 5,000 people are employed. Much of the energy is used by IT and their large printing facilities. DVLA has kept its accreditations to ISO 14001 since 2001. Its recent and ongoing energy management initiatives include:

  • Using automatic meter readers to identify unnecessary energy use.
  • Using lower carbon vehicles when travelling.
  • Following the greening movement commitments.
  • Encouraging suppliers and contractors to improve their own environmental performance.

Call the DVLA telephone number as shown here to request additional information.

DVLA Governance

The agency has a board led by a non-executive chair, with the chief executive and the agency’s functional directors serving as members. In addition, three non-executive members have been appointed whose roles is to manage, each drawing upon their perspectives as private citizens but each with skills sets gained from senior positions in the private sector. The board has both strategic and business oversight responsibilities. To connect with a board member, dial the DVLA phone number listed here.

DVLA Driving & Medical Issues

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in the United Kingdom has specific requirements for those who wish to apply for a driving licence or renew it. One important requirement is the reporting of any medical conditions at the time of application. This may seem like a nuisance, but it’s required by law. If you neglect to telephone DVLA and tell them of your medical condition, you can be fined, and you may be prosecuted if your disability causes an accident.

What Medical Conditions Must Be Reported?

Not all medical conditions must be reported. The kind of medical conditions that are considered by the DVLA to be noteworthy are any conditions which could impede your ability to drive, and could hinder your safety or the safety of others on the road. These are usually serious medical disabilities, such as heart or neurological conditions, or mental impairments. Visual restrictions, such as the necessity to wear eyeglasses, are also included. Ring the DVLA contact number and an agent can provide you with a complete list of disabilities that qualify as notifiable.

What Happens When A Medical Condition Is Reported?

Once your medical condition is reported, there will be a waiting period for DVLA to review your application, usually about 6 weeks. During this time, DVLA will assess what you need to do in order to receive a driving licence. This will differ for each person’s case. You may be asked by letter to contact your physician and receive an examination, and you may also be required to take a driving test or have your eyesight tested by DVLA before you can receive your licence.

Some conditions take longer to review. In that case, you will be notified by letter of the extension in time. If the medical condition has developed since you obtained your first driving licence, you will usually be allowed to drive until the review process is over.

The Review Process

After you call DVLA to submit a report, the agency will usually make one of four determinations as to the outcome of your disability.

  1. You may have to get a new drivers licence.
  2. The term of your licence may be shortened so that your condition can be re-assessed within a specified time.
  3. You may need to alter your auto to include special adaptations for your disability.
  4. In some cases where the medical condition is particularly debilitating, you may have to give up your driving licence.

Remember that these provisions are intended for your safety and the safety of others. They are not intended to be overly burdensome.

Physical Adaptations to Your Vehicle

Adaptations to your vehicle are usually required for persons with mobility problems, special needs, or drivers with hearing impairment. You will be required to obtain an independent assessment of what adaptations will be needed by the Forum of Mobility Centres, a network of professional organisations that advise people regarding the types of adaptations to use for specific disabilities. If the DVLA requires you to take this next step, you will find the advice to be invaluable.

Here are some of the questions you can get answered for your specific needs:

  • What do I need in my car to be able to drive if I’m in a wheelchair?
  • How will my adaptations affect passengers?
  • How can I get postural support for sitting in my vehicle?
  • What is the best way to load my wheelchair into a vehicle?
  • What types of vehicles will best accommodate the adaptations I require?
  • What are the safety precautions for my mobility equipment?
  • How does age affect my driving skills, and how can I improve them?

If You Are Required To Stop Driving

Unfortunately, in some instances you may be required to stop driving. If this is the decision of the DVLA, they will let you know the reasons that led them to make this decision. The stoppage may only be temporary, in which case they will inform you when you can reapply. You will also be given a chance to appeal their decision if you believe it to be incorrect. Contact DVLA customer service for appeals information. Reapplying for your licence after it has been taken away due to a medical condition will usually require the prior approval of your physician. If you are required to stop driving permanently, you must surrender your current licence to DVLA according to law.

Seniors Over 70 Years of Age

Once seniors begin to reach advanced age, special provisions apply. At this time, DVLA contact is advised. You will be expected to truthfully list your age on your driving application. You must renew your driving licence every three years after the age of 70, and you must meet the minimum standard for proper eyesight when driving. Renewal can be initiated online in most cases. If your medical condition or other special reason does not prevent you from driving, and you apply to renew within 90 days of the expiration, you should be able to continue driving while you are waiting for your licence to be renewed.

Transport for Non-Drivers

If you are not allowed to drive for any reason, there are still many options available to you. DVLA customer service will be happy to provide you with options. The UK wishes to help all individuals who are not allowed to drive because of their medical condition. You should be able to apply for a disabled person’s bus pass for your local community. Many communities provide door-to-door transport. You can also apply to obtain a disabled person’s railcard, even if you are in a wheelchair. Trains are required to provide extra space for people who are in wheelchairs.

You have the right to obtain assistance when traveling by plane. Accommodation will be made for your caregiver or assistance dog, provided you let the airline know 48 hours before you wish to leave. As well, many taxicabs and private hire drivers are required by law to provide wheelchair assistance and extra space for guide or assistance dogs. Taxicab drivers are required to make reasonable adjustments to allow for your handicap, and by law they are not allowed to discriminate against you because of your disability.

Although DVLA customer services will do all it can to assist the disabled, notification is required whenever the disability occurs and for as long as it remains. This may begin before you apply for your first licence, or at some point when you renew. Call the DVLA help line if you have any questions about reporting health problems and the impact that reports may have on your ability to drive.

DVLA Driver Check Service

DVLA currently offers a driver check service that allows prospective employers and individuals to check the driving status of an individual. To do this, two things will be needed: the last 8 characters of their driving licence number, and a check code from the driver. The code must be used within 21 days and may only be used once. If this time period has passed or the code has already been used once, a new code will need to be requested for another check to be carried out.

Do make sure that you have permission from the driver to complete the check before calling the DVLA contact number. It’s a criminal offence to ask for someone else’s personal information without first being granted their permission. Once you have permission and the information mentioned above, you can call the DVLA phone number as shown here to submit a request. Calls are accepted Monday to Friday, from 8am to 7pm, and Saturday from 8am to 2pm. Note that the check code is only needed for online requests. However, the driver will have to give permission before a phone check can be completed.

To request a phone check, first ask the driver you’re doing the check on to call the DVLA telephone number and leave permission for the check to be requested and completed. After this permission has been granted, you can them call DVLA customer service and make the request. For those who would like to complete the process via fax, DVLA contact is advised, as a representative will need to provide the instructions and a fax number for submitting the necessary information.

The check service is available by post as well, although the process will certainly take longer to complete. The driver will need to complete form D888/1 in order for the process to be completed by post. To request a check by mail, send the completed form along with a cheque or postal order for £5 made payable to ‘DVLA, Swansea’ to: Driver Licence Validation Service, DVRE 5, DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AJ. Questions regarding checks by post should be directed to DVLA customer services using the contact number shown here or by emailing: drivers_fpe@dvla.gsi.gov.uk.

Checking Your Own Driving Licence Information

Through DVLA contact, drivers may also check their own individual information. By calling the DVLA telephone number, drivers in the UK can view their driving record, check any penalty points or disqualifications that they may have, and create a licence ‘check code’ to share their driving record with someone else (such as for employment purposes). The service is not available to those who reside outside of England, Wales or Scotland and cannot be used to check the progress of a licence application or to gather historical information.

To check your own driving information, you will need to gather your driving licence number, your National Insurance number, and the postcode on your driving licence before calling the DVLA contact number. The service cannot be used to request information on behalf of someone else unless they have provided permission and the code request process has been completed. For those who create an account, a self-check can be completed online on the Gov.uk website. By phone, a self-check can be completed by calling the DVLA phone number listed here.

Requesting Vehicle Information

In some cases, vehicle information may be needed in addition to or rather than driving licence information. Contact DVLA to find out what information the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) holds about a vehicle. Note that in order to request information, you will need the vehicle’s make and registration number, so have this on hand before contact DVLA customer service. Drivers can request different types of vehicle related information, including:

  • Vehicle Tax Expiration Date
  • MOT Expiration Date
  • First Recorded Date of Registration
  • Current SORN Status
  • Vehicle Colour
  • Vehicle Engine Size
  • Year the Vehicle was Manufactured
  • CO2 Emissions Information
  • Current Vehicle Tax Rate

DVLA currently offers two online options for requesting this information, one of which is new and currently in beta, the other of which is considered to be the “old” version. Both can be used to request any of the information that is listed above. It is also possible to call the DVLA phone number to speak with a representative and request information. The vast majority of the information listed above will be available when you contact DVLA by phone. However, certain information may not be provided when requested by phone.

It is possible to check the MOT history of a vehicle. This is typically done to see if a MOT certificate is genuine by checking its details against recorded details. To carry out this type of check, you will need the make of the vehicle and the registration number (number plate). Before DVLA contact, note that you can only get test results from 2005 onward. Also, some MOT information for recently transferred personalised registrations may not yet be available. You may need to wait a few weeks before requesting information in this case.

Information about Registered Keepers

It is necessary to contact DVLA by mail if you wish to request information about the current or previous registered keeper of any vehicle. You must have reasonable cause to request this type of information. For example, you might need to find out who was responsible for an accident or need to locate the owner of an abandoned vehicle. Other valid reasons include violations such as driving off without paying for goods, illegal parking, cases of insurance fraud, etc.

Through DVLA contact, you can request details of a vehicle’s registered keeper, information about previous keepers for a vehicle that has now been registered in your name, and/or information DVLA holds pertaining to you. The type of form that needs to be completed and submitted will be based on who it is that is requesting the information. Individuals should call the DVLA phone number and ask for form V888, while companies will need form V8882 and any that issues parking charge notices will need form V8883. For further information, call the DVLA contact number as shown here.

DVLA Welsh Language Enquiries

When it comes to conducting public business in Wales, the DVLA endeavors to treat the Welsh and English languages exactly the same, which includes all DVLA contact. The primary goal of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency is to improve road safety and render services simpler and safer for UK residents. In keeping with this goal, the agency works to ensure that comprehensive and correct registers of drivers and vehicles are kept and are made accessible to individuals who have the right to access them.

Delivering Welsh Language Services

DVLA customer service supports and provides services in Welsh whenever possible. The unit manager in charge will make certain the concept of language equality is regarded and employed in all elements of the agency’s work that impacts the general public in Wales. The agency also promises keep their staff and the general public informed of their dedication to language equality.

Customers of DVLA services in Wales will be in the position to receive services in Welsh. This includes the provision of bilingual vehicle licence discs (call the DLVA contact number for purchasing locations), bilingual vehicle registration certificates, and bilingual driving licences. Furthermore, DVLA will interact in Welsh to all customers who elect to correspond in Welsh, including those who choose to call the DVLA phone number.

Forms and Materials

DVLA produces bilingual versions of:

  • Vehicle Tax Discs
  • Licence Renewal Reminders
  • Vehicle Registration Certificates
  • Driving Licences
  • Licence Renewal Reminders
  • Tachograph Cards

All written responses to Welsh language speakers, including responses to e-mails and letter mail will be produced in same language. A form or informative leaflet will provided in the Welsh language if said document is directed at the general public.

Written Communication

DVLA customer service welcomes correspondence in both Welsh and English. Correspondence that is received in Welsh will be responded to in Welsh and will not lead to any delay. All correspondence that follows a telephone or face-to-face interaction that was conducted in the Welsh language will also be in Welsh. DVLA intends that communication with Welsh drivers will be opened up in the desired language, if a preference is known. Those who wish to speak with the agency via email in Welsh can expect to receive a response in Welsh.

Telephone Communication

The agency does welcome telephone enquiries in Welsh or English. Simply dial the DVLA telephone number to be connected. The interactive automated line will offer a Welsh speaking service if the customer is determined to be calling from within Wales. If customers are connected to a non-Welsh speaking operator and wish to receive assistance in Welsh, they will be transferred to a Welsh speaking operator. If a Welsh speaker is not immediately available, DLVA customer services will offer a call back or offer the chance to continue the phone call in English.

Feedback and Complaints

DVLA customer service welcomes all feedback that would help them to improve upon the services provided to Welsh speakers. All feedback should be delivered to the Welsh Language Unit Manager. Customers may call the DVLA contact number as shown here, or submit feedback by emailing: wynne.jones@dvla.gsi.gov.uk. The support department will deal with any complaints regarding the Welsh speaking services that are provided. To submit a complaint, dial the DVLA phone number Monday to Friday between the hours of 8am to 4pm.

DVLA Driving Tests

In the UK, you can legally start driving a car when you are 17 years of age and have passed the proper tests. When learning to drive, every student must have a provisional driving license for Great Britain or Northern Ireland. You can apply for one of these licenses through DVLA contact when you are 15 years and 9 months old. Once you obtain it, you can drive on all roads except motorways.

Learning to Drive

Before taking a driving test, you must first take driving lessons to learn how to drive. An instructor or a family member/ friend who meets the required rules can supervise these lessons. For more information on what makes for a qualified instructor, call the contact number DVLA and speak with an adviser. Make sure that the car you use when learning to drive displays “L” plates – this way, other drivers will know that a student is driving that specific car and be more careful.

Different driving schools offer different prices for their lessons. It is up to you to figure out which school or instructor you prefer. Remember that all instructors must display their badges on the windscreen. These badges signify that they have registered with the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA). A green badge backs qualified driving instructors, while trainees display a pink badge.

Theory Test

Once you have completed your lessons, it is time to sit for your theory test. The first thing you need to do is book for your test by calling DVLA customer service. Remember to carry your provisional driving license with you when booking your theory test. This test comes in two parts: multiple questions and hazard perception. If you want to excel in your multiple-choice questions, you are requested to study the rules and skills found in these three main books:

  • The Highway Code
  • Know your Traffic Signs
  • Driving – The Essential Skills

These books can be found in just about any street and online bookstores. If you are unable to find them, contact DVLA. To see how much you have learned you shall be requested to take the multiple-choice theory test based on above-mentioned books.

Next comes the hazard perception test. To learn hazard perception skills, you are requested to buy the official guide to hazard perception. This is a video test about spotting hazards on the road. You can buy it from most streets and online bookstores. Keep in mind that this test can only be taken in English, Welsh, or British Sign Language. A learner is able to take their theory test as soon as they turn 17 years. Keep in mind that this test is only for individuals who want to get their full driving license.

There is no need to take a theory test if you just want to upgrade your automatic license to manual or you already have a B1 driving license. If your license isn’t from Great Britain, you are requested to call the DVLA contact number to find out whether you can drive in the UK without having to retake a theory or driving test. If your fail your theory-test, you have to retake it. You can only apply to do so after three working days have passed. Once you have passed your theory car tests, it is time to book your driving test.

Driving Test

Remember that you can only book for a driving test after you have passed theory test. To book now, dial the DVLA phone number shown here. In order to pass your driving test, you have to be able to drive safely on different roads, highways, and different traffic conditions. You must be able to maneuver your driving vehicle gracefully and to your instructor’s instructions. You must also adhere to all road signs and prove to the instructor that you know the Highway Code.

During the day of your driving test, bring along your identification and your theory test certificate. Note that an instructor can cancel a test if you do not carry the correct items with you – if he/she cancels your test, you will not get your money back. You can bring a friend or family member who is above 16 years along with you for moral support. They have to sit at the back and refrain from helping you during your test. For complete rules, call the DVLA number.

There are five parts to a driving test for both manual and automatic cars:

  • Eyesight check
  • “Show me, tell me” Vehicle safety questions
  • General driving ability
  • Reversing your vehicle
  • Independent driving

A driving test takes up to 40 minutes. However, it can take around 70 minutes if you are taking an extended driving test.

During the eyesight check you will be asked to read a number plate from a distance. This test is highly important, as you will not pass your driving test if you fail this check. You shall be asked to read a number plate from 20 meters for vehicles with a new-style number plate and 20.5 meters for vehicles with an old-fashioned plate. If you have questions regarding this, the DVLA phone is open for enquiries. As for the “Show me, tell me” questions, you will be asked two vehicle safety questions to test your knowledge of basic safety checks.

When testing your general driving ability, your examiner will give you directions while driving and see how you follow them. He or she shall also ask you to drive on various roads and in various traffic conditions. Call the DVLA help line to request examples. You shall be asked to fulfill requests such as pulling over on the side of the road, pulling out behind a parked vehicle, performing a hill start, or carrying out an emergency stop. You will also be asked to reverse around a corner, turn in the road, and reverse park.

As for independent driving, you will have to drive for approximately 10 minutes following traffic signs, verbal directions from the examiner, or a series of both. An examiner will give you instructions in you can’t see a traffic sign. If you forget the directions, you can as the examiner to remind you. In case you take a wrong turn, do not worry; your examiner will help you get back on set route. You can make a few mistakes during your test but your examiner will stop you if he/she feels that your driving is dangerous to other road users.

There are three types of faults an individual can make:

  • A dangerous fault – any incident involving actual danger to you, examiner, the public, or property
  • A serious fault – A fault that could have become dangerous
  • A driving fault – Not perceived as a serious fault but if you keep repeating the same fault, it has potential of becoming serious.

You will receive a pass if you made less than 15 driving faults, including no serious or dangerous faults. Once you’ve passed, your examiner will tell you what mistakes you made. He/she shall then issue you with a pass certificate. He/she will then ask for your provisional license so that they can process your full license. You can start driving as soon as you pass your driving test – there is no need to wait for your full license. However, if your full license hasn’t arrived in 3 weeks, call the DVLA telephone number for assistance.

If you fail your test, the examiner will tell you your mistakes. You can then opt to book for another test after 10 working days by contacting DVLA customer services. Keep in mind that you do have to pay the testing fee again. If you think your examiner didn’t follow set rules, you can appeal your test. Your results won’t be changed, but you can get a free retest if appeal is successful. You will need to appeal to a magistrate’s court or sheriff’s office. If you took your test in England or Wales, you need to appeal to magistrate’s court within six months. If you took test in Scotland, appeal to sheriff’s office within 21 days. For more information on appeals, ring the DVLA contact phone number.

MOT and Vehicle Testing

The MOT test, sometimes simply referred to as the MOT, is a test that encompasses standards of the safety of your vehicle, aspects of roadworthiness and exhaust emissions. This test can be done by any authorized MOT test station. An authorized MOT test station can be recognized by the signature three triangle blue and white colored logo. Call the DVLA customer service telephone number to request the address of the testing location nearest you.

When do you need to get an MOT?

When you need to get an MOT depends on how old your vehicle is. Essentially, vehicles can be divided into three categories for the purpose of determining duration after which to get an MOT. You can choose between the following options, or call the DVLA helpline number to request guidance.

  • Newly registered vehicle – A new vehicle could get an MOT done on the third anniversary of its registration.
  • A vehicle over three years old – You could get an MOT by the anniversary of its last MOT for a vehicle that is more than three years old.

Vehicles for which the above rules are valid include motorcycles, motorcycles with sidecars, three wheeled vehicles, cars with up to eight passenger seats, motor caravans, quads, dual purpose vehicles, goods vehicles, etc.

  • Exceptions – Vehicles that cannot choose between the above options include private passenger vehicles and ambulances, playbuses, taxis, etc. These must get an MOT within one year.

If you are found driving a vehicle without an MOT, you may have to pay a fine of up to £1,000. You can also be prosecuted. There are only two exceptions to this – if you are driving to or from a place for the purpose of repairing your vehicle; or if you are driving to an MOT test that has been pre-arranged. DVLA support is available if you have any questions about this.

The MOT fee is also different for different kinds of vehicles. It ranges from £29.65 for a motorcycle with a maximum engine size of 200cc to up to £124.50 for a class 5 vehicle with more than 16 passenger seats with a seatbelt installation check. No additional VAT needs to be paid on this test fee. Ring the DVLA customer services telephone number to request fee information for your specific vehicle(s).

What Will be Tested in an MOT Test?

Contact DVLA customer support for complete testing information. The specific testing depends on the kind of vehicle, but the general rule of thumb is that an MOT test, though quite thorough, is not like your average vehicle servicing, even though there might be certain similarities in both. The main difference is the purpose of an MOT – it has a purpose of ensuring safety (both for the driver/ rider and everyone else on the road), roadworthiness and emission standards.

Although there are different checking standards for every vehicle, the testing of the two most common – a car and a motorcycle – is explained further. For testing guidelines on other types of vehicles, call the DVLA customer services phone number.

For a car, the MOT does not cover testing of the clutch, the engine or the gearbox. During testing, it is seen whether the brakes and fuel system function properly, and if the lights and seat belts are working as they should. Most of the parts of the car get checked. These include the boot/ tailgate and the doors. The mirrors and exhaust systems are checked as well.

Some other parts that get checked include the following:

  • Horn
  • Tyres, wheels and TPMS
  • Bonnet
  • Registration plates
  • Electrical wiring and battery
  • Windscreen
  • Steering and suspension
  • Body/ vehicle structure/ general items
  • Seats
  • Towbar

It is made sure that everything is checked completely. For the doors, for example, it is checked that the latch is in the closed position; it is made sure that the front doors are able to open from both the inside and outside of the car; that the rear doors have the ability to open from the outside of the car; and finally that all the hinges and catches are secure and are working in an appropriate manner.

Call the DVLA hotline to schedule testing for a motorbike. If you’ve brought your motorcycle for testing, ensure that all parts are checked properly. For instance, it is important that the fuel system gets checked. You would need to see if the throttle and brakes are working as they should and whether there is any problem with the clutch lever. The other things often checked are the brakes and steering. The rule of engine, clutch and gearbox not getting checked applies here too.

Here are some of the other parts of the motorcycle that get checked:

  • Horn
  • Frame number
  • Lights
  • Wheels and tyres
  • Footrest
  • Frame
  • Drive chain and sprocket
  • Exhaust systems
  • Wheel alignment
  • Registration plates
  • Sidecars (if applicable)
  • Seat

A very thorough testing is done. The lights, for example, will be checked to see if they are functional, and if they are working properly; that they are properly secured; that the colour of the headlamps is appropriate; and that the rear lights, indicators and reflectors are in perfect working order.

What if you Lose your Certificate?

You might end up damaging your MOT certificate or even losing it. In the case of loss or damage to your certificate, you must call the DVLA customer service contact number to get another one. However, it is not necessary to undergo the test again. To get a replacement certificate, find an authorized MOT centre near you. This MOT centre doesn’t necessarily have to be the identical one that you got your original certificate from.

You need the following information to get your replacement.

  • The registration number of your vehicle (commonly referred to as the number plate).
  • The V5c vehicle registration certificate reference number (commonly referred to as the log book).

Once you have provided the above information, you will be provided with a replacement certificate. This process has as yet not been available online; you need to visit an authorized MOT centre to be able to do it. Contact DVLA customer care for information on a location near you. Getting a MOT is especially useful if you are looking to sell your vehicle in the near future. Since all the features would be checked extensively, you would have nothing to worry about. Your vehicle would fetch a far higher price in the market as well.


I Have A Personalised Registration Plate; Can I Take It Off And Put It On A Certificate?

You can apply to take your plate off your vehicle online and it has never been easier for you to this. When you do it online you can find out how you can take your plate off as well as finding out how you can apply it to another vehicle. If you prefer to use it again then you can do this online as well and all you need to do is get a V778 so it is relatively easy for you to do. Your V778 will be valid for a total of 10 years and if you do not use it during this period then you can extend it for another 10 years so that won’t be a problem.

There Are Cheaper Companies Out There That Can Give Me A New Registration Plate, Are They Given Discounts By The DVLA?

No company who purchases from the DVLA are given a discount. The price is the same for everyone who applies and it doesn’t matter if you are a business or a customer either. There are companies out there that choose to sell personalised registrations and these registrations may come with their own stock of numbers that have come from the DVLA. They may also be from other people’s vehicles who don’t want them anymore so they sell them to make some money. Some people even advertise registrations that are available from the DVLA direct. If you have seen a registration number that you want and it is being advertised by someone other than the DVLA then make sure that you aren’t going to be charged more than the DVLA. Also remember that the DVLA will include fees and VAT as well.

How Do I Contact The DVLA About A Registration?

If you want to contact the DVLA about a registration number then you can do so by calling them on this number: 0300 123 0883. This line is open from Monday to Friday and the hours are 8am to 4pm. If you want to write to them then you can do so by sending your post to this address: DVLA Personalised Registrations, Swansea, SA99 1DS. They will get back to you as soon as they can.

Of course, the DVLA can be contacted about anything, whether you are having problems with your registration or whether you are simply wanting to pay your road tax on time. They can also help you with your disability, your previous suspensions and so much more so you know you can contact them about anything with ease. The DVLA are on Facebook and they are very responsive to messages but for a quicker answer then you are better off giving them a call because this will be much faster when compared to contacting them over the internet.