DPS: 0870 218 3532

Call the DPS contact number shown here to speak with a DPS customer service agent. Assistance is provided for both landlords and tenants, and does include support for both custodial and insured schemes. The DPS phone number is open for incoming calls Monday to Friday, between the hours of 8am to 6pm.

DPS Contact Number
0870 218 3532

The Tenancy Deposit Protection (TDP) act was formed in 2004 with the aim of safeguarding deposits given to landlords within 30 days of receiving the money. TDP follows guidelines highlighted by the UK Deposit Protection Service (DPS) which acts as a custodial deposit program insurance. DPS currently holds 1.3 million deposits from tenants across the UK. Both landlords and renters can call the DPS contact number to ask questions, manage their account, request information, and more.

DPS: 0870 280 5547

HelplineContact Number
Customer Services0870 280 5547
Make A Complaint0330 303 0030
International Number+44 330 303 0030

DPS Contact

The DPS contact number is open for incoming calls Monday to Friday, from 8am to 6pm. The phone lines are also open on Saturday from 9am to 1pm. DPS is on Twitter and does provide some customer support and information there. A contact form is provided on the DPS website and can be used by both tenants and landlords. For contact by way of post, the following address should be used: The Deposit Protection Service, The Pavilions, Bridgwater Road, Bristol, BS99 6AA.

Landlord Obligations

If you are a landlord in the UK, you have to meet certain obligations. One of which is to follow the guidelines as highlighted in the TDP 2004 act, which states that all monies should be safeguarded within 30 days of receipt. The form in which you receive the payment doesn’t matter. So whether a tenant pays by cash, wire transfer or cheque, the requirements will still apply. DPS contact is highly recommended if you have any questions about deposit rules and regulations.

As a landlord, you risk facing two sanctions in the event that you failed to comply with these rules. First, the tenant will reserve the right to stay in your premises until the deposit has been refunded. Your tenant has the capacity to do so under the Housing Act 1998 (section 21). Furthermore, they will also reserve the right to stay in your premises until a court case has ended.

Secondly, your tenant has the option of applying for this case in a county court, where they will seek compensation to the tune of up to 3 times the deposit amount. This applies when (1) you have not safeguarded their deposit and (2) when they don’t have details of the insurance scheme that is protecting their money. Again, calling the DPS phone number can certainly help in ensuring that you meet all obligations and do not run into problems.

Tenancy Deposit Protection

The Housing Act of 2004 has a Tenancy Deposit Protection section which was introduced in April 2007. This law applies to landlords and tenants of England and Wales where asking for deposits is considered a standard used in the letting industry. This act makes provision for tenants to ensure that they are treated fairly when they evacuate their landlord’s premises. Again, they must safeguard this money within 30 days of receiving it regardless of the mode of payment. Feel free to call the DPS helpline to request printed guidelines.

Other important details worth familiarising yourself with:

If you are a tenant entering a contract with your landlord, you will need to make arrangements on how that deposit will reach you at the end of your tenancy period. At this time, you’ll be required to involve the Deposit Protection Service in the UK so that important arrangements can be made. You can do this by calling the DPS telephone number. However, there’s still a possibility of a dispute arising when both of you fail to settle on one thing.

In this case, you will still utilise the services of an independent Alternative Dispute resolution body. What is more, it is important to note that DPS will accept overseas payment when that money is sent to the UK from an overseas location. When parties want to ask for a repayment or are submitting a repayment response, they should choose the country in which the bank that shall receive their money is located in. They should also provide their account details to facilitate efficient transaction.

Deposit Disputes

When you and your tenant cannot agree on how much to deduct from their deposit, a deposit dispute will ensue. In this case, you or your tenant will approach an adjudication team which will see you go through the Alternative Dispute Resolution process. This process is aimed at solving tenancy issues in relation to deposit disputes. It seeks to eliminate the traditional method of going to court. Either you or the tenant can call the DPS phone number to begin the dispute process. Depending on the evidence that the two parties present, the unbiased adjudicator will come to a reasonable conclusion on how the dispute is to be resolved.

As a tenant, you will be required to produce evidence of having entered a contract with your landlord. This may include invoices, inventories, photos or any other document that may support your case. Contact DPS to request the details of the exact information that you will need to provide. These documents should be submitted within a specific time frame so that unbiased adjudicators can analyze the evidence and come to a fair conclusion. Call the DPS number if you have any questions.